I have to admit, I don't know what "Electro" means. I thought it had something to do with a genre, and having not looked at the track listing, I threw in the mix expecting to hear some gritty techy house. Not the case here, its an album filled with older/established pop-dance tracks that resemble Dirty House and some Tech. However, I can understand why Ultra would not name it "Ultra Tech"... not that sexy, although "Ultra Dirty House" would have had my vote.
This album appeals to a mass audience and touches ever so lightly on the progressive/tech-house sounds that are coming out these days. The album, especially CD2, reminds me of "Darren Emerson and Sharam Jey - Underwater Episode 4" from July 2005. Ultra and Waxman have a lot of resources at their disposal; it is unfortunate that you don't see more on-the-edge artists like Tim Deluxe, James Holden or Statique featured here.
"Ultra Electro" provides an introduction to the sounds that are moving electronic music today. What has been created by David Waxman and Ultra is an exceptionally fun, bouncy and flavorful mix containing upfront dance classics, and some of the most influential remixes recently produced. Take a look at the track listing. You have big named artists to attract brand addicts with tech-like versions of their singles molded into a tight package, albeit with an umbrella title. Not a bad thing, mind you, it is a product for a certain audience.
The album contains some of our most favorite singles of late, including the amazing Soulwax remix of Gorillaz' "DARE", Planet Funk's remix of New Order's "Waiting for the Sirens' Call" and Mylo's legendary remix of Freeform Five's "No More Conversations". Taken aside form the title's intention, this is absolutely a great mix album, and you should buy it. Perfect for those "other" friends who won't quite get Tim Deluxe and Krafty Kuts latest single "Bass Phenomenon".
Mixed by: David Waxman
Released: April 4, 2006
Label: Ultra Records
Our Rating: (3.5/5.0) cd1
1. Gorillaz - DARE (Soulwax Remix)
2. Depeche Mode - A Pain That I'm Used To (Jacques Lu Cont Remix)
3. New Order - Waiting For The Sirens Call (Planet Funk Remix)
4. Röyksopp - What Else Is There? (Trentemoller Remix)
5. Ladytron - Sugar (Jagz Kooner Mix)
6. Tiefschwarz feat. Matty Safer - Warning Siren (Buick Project Remix)
7. Daft Punk - Technologic
8. Moby - Dream About Me (Sebastian Ingrosso Remix)
9. The Egg - Walking Away (Tocadisco’s Acid Walk Mix)
10. Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko (Tommie Sunshine’s Brooklyn Fire Retouch)
11. Goldfrapp - Ooh La La (Tiefschwarz Remix)
12. N.E.R.D. - She Wants To Move (DFA Remix)
1. Daisy Daisy - Michelle Plays Ping Pong
2. M.A.N.D.Y. vs. Booka Shade - Body Language
3. Trick & Kubic feat. Valeska Easy
4. Armand Van Helden - Sugar (Paper Faces Remix)
5. Laid feat. Yota - Me
6. Freeform Five - No More Conversations (Mylo Remix)
7. Tonite Only Danger (The Bomb)
8. Alter Ego Rocker (Eric Prydz Remix)
9. Digitalism - Zdarlight
10. Tom Novy feat. Michael Marshall Your Body (Gianluca Motta Remix)
11. Till West & DJ Delicious - Same Man
12. Supermode Tell Me Why
So, what do you think? Was my review way off? Post below. I can take it.